John Mayer's Society
Feb. 23rd, 2010 11:00 amI know I'm a little late to the party, but:
People are shocked and hurt by John Mayer’s March 2010 Playboy interview. Really?
We’re shocked that a person who’s been told all his life by his society that he’s the right race, gender and sexual orientation - and rich and successful to boot - would be racist, sexist, closed- and small-minded.
Really?
I thought it would have been more startling an interview had it revealed that Mayer had somehow managed to transcend his own societal pre-destination. Like those “black dudes” he was referring to.
..intellectualism and verbal dexterity having very little to do with intelligence... I thought this was well established.
The man is 32. Which in male-years is about 19 (sorry, guys). So let him have his “cool guy” moments in the sun.
The only thing that will be truly sad is if he lives long enough to see that age where you’ve actually matured. Because then you get to experience the joy of spending the rest of the your life being embarrassed by the awkward things you said when you were younger, and thought you knew it all.
But to be mad at him? Seriously?
People are shocked and hurt by John Mayer’s March 2010 Playboy interview. Really?
We’re shocked that a person who’s been told all his life by his society that he’s the right race, gender and sexual orientation - and rich and successful to boot - would be racist, sexist, closed- and small-minded.
Really?
I thought it would have been more startling an interview had it revealed that Mayer had somehow managed to transcend his own societal pre-destination. Like those “black dudes” he was referring to.
..intellectualism and verbal dexterity having very little to do with intelligence... I thought this was well established.
The man is 32. Which in male-years is about 19 (sorry, guys). So let him have his “cool guy” moments in the sun.
The only thing that will be truly sad is if he lives long enough to see that age where you’ve actually matured. Because then you get to experience the joy of spending the rest of the your life being embarrassed by the awkward things you said when you were younger, and thought you knew it all.
But to be mad at him? Seriously?
no subject
on 2010-02-23 08:31 pm (UTC)no subject
on 2010-02-23 09:12 pm (UTC)I love, love, love his music [I do only have that one album Continuum, but if that's all he ever produced it would have still been an amazing career], and I hope his special brand of crazy keeps him churning out great music for a long time to come. Know thyself, they say. Great musician, yes. Legendary commentator, introspect and societal wit? No.
no subject
on 2010-02-23 09:27 pm (UTC)no subject
on 2010-02-23 10:08 pm (UTC)He writes amazing music, and beautiful emotional lyrics. Let's leave it at that, for godsakes.
I think about Eric Clapton and how people fucking WORSHIPED the ground he walked on, and the man was a fucking loser dickhead in all other parts of his life. Just 'cuz a man can play guitar really really well does not mean he is God. Or knows anything else but playing guitar.
no subject
on 2010-02-24 03:35 am (UTC)